21 January 2013

More Than Last Year

The goal this year for the blog is to have more entries than last year.  In 2012, I posted 11 blog entries, 3 more than in 2011.  With a little focus and effort, I should easily be able to make this year the bloggiest year ever for me. Not that it's some huge accomplishment; my all-time high for blog posts in a year is 37.

So as not to make this post a "filler" post to pad my numbers, I'll actually include some substance.  Here's a list of what I'm reading(and have read recently):

  • The Furious Longing of God (Brennan Manning) - In classic Manning style, God's love for us is explained through story, insight, and numerous quotable blocks of awesomeness.
  • You Lost Me: Why Young Christians are Leaving Church...and Rethinking Faith (David Kinnaman) - 18-29 year-olds are the leaving the church (and sometimes the faith) faster than any other age group.  Kinnaman's book explores how why people are leaving (and why he categorizes them on a spectrum of exiles, nomads, and prodigals).
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word is Misunderstood (Eric J. Bargerhuff)  I enjoyed almost every chapter in this book.  His chapter on Acts 2:38 was an embarrassing exercise in begging the question (in this case, he assumed Calvinism; therefore, any hint of the individual's faith that isn't caused by God is horrific).
  • Shock and Awe (Episode #1) (Celebrity Pastor) - I laughed hard several times while reading this satirical look at what it means to be a pastor at a new church and how to effect change in the local congregation.  He gives 7 principles to his leadership style; "Principle #5: Be Awesome First, Apologize Later" is a good example.

No comments: